The romance of a wedding day has much to do with tradition, but your festivities needn’t be staid and boring! Even the most formal event can show some style and personality with a few unique and festive details. Take a cue from these innovative wedding day ideas. Whether you go all out with a favorite theme or add just a couple of charming upgrades, your wedding day can be a one-of-a-kind celebration.
Let your imagination run wild with a clever theme.
Your choice of theme can serve as inspiration for all your party planning details, from save-the-dates and invitations to tablescapes and favors.
- Consider a style that reflects you as a couple. Casual or glam? Bohemian or Gatsby?
- Be inspired by the things you love. Do you know every line from the Star Wars trilogy? Consider a light saber send-off, or a Han and Leia cake topper. Are your wedding dreams straight from your favorite Disney movie? Bright-hued balloons are a sentimental nod to Up, or channel your inner Ariel with a dreamy seashore motif.
Serve dinner in a special way.
A plated dinner service is fine, but why be ordinary when you can wow your guests with creative cuisine and unique drinks.
- Get interactive; it’s a great way to get your guests to mingle, and provides so many options for innovative cuisine. Offer a prosecco or mimosa bar, make-your-own tacos or a pizza station.
- Hire a food truck for a late night snack. Who wouldn’t love an ice cream treat after a night of partying?
- Forego the traditional wedding cake and offer up some cookies and milk, a donut wall or a buffet of homemade pies.
- In lieu of an open bar, offer a selection of craft beers and/or fine wines.
- Go for drama with a vodka or cocktail ice luge.
Photo booths have gone from trendy to trite. Capture your memories with a more creative option.
- Take it up a notch with green screen technology or even a video booth.
- Set up a selfie station with a cool backdrop and a few fun photo props You’ll want to provide a unique wedding hashtag to share the good times.
- Let your guests loose with a few Polaroid cameras. Their creative snapshots can do double duty as a fun favor or a brilliant guestbook alternative.
Great music is key, but there’s more to an entertaining event than a DJ and dance floor.
- Check out the internet for downloadable trivia games, Mad Libs or other printables for some tableside fun and games.
- Go all out and wow your reception guests with a singing waiter or a caricaturist. How about a magician or palm reader?
- For outdoor festivities, guests of all ages will enjoy a selection of lawn games. Include old favorites like horseshoes and cornhole, and check online for a giant Jenga set. Go all out with a rented bounce house.
Forget the useless knickknacks. Thank your guests with creative favors they’ll love to take home.
- Go green with tiny on-trend succulents or pretty seed packets. Keep it sweet with little jars of local honey or a take-home cookie or donut treat. No one will be leaving these fun favors behind!
Make a grand exit. Rice? Boring. Bubbles? Been there, done that.
- Make a grand and memorable exit amid the glow of sparklers or glow sticks.
- Set up a trendy toss bar. Vintage paper cones look lovely filled with pretty dried flower petals.
- End your special day with a romantic balloon or sky lantern launch. Gorgeous!
Take our style quiz and add your personal flair for a wedding unlike any other!