Congratulations! The holidays were good to you! You just got engaged. Or maybe you’ve been engaged for a while. In any event, your 2016 (or 2017, or even 2018) is going to be fabulous. You’ve gone out and purchased one of those checklist books with everything you need to do before your special day. You’re feeling overwhelmed. CALM DOWN! Don’t worry, I’m right there with you. I’m planning my own wedding in May 2016 so I understand how you’re feeling. Planning a wedding can be overwhelming, but don’t forget to enjoy the process! Hopefully, you’ll only have to do it once.
I just finished sending out my Save-the-Date cards so I thought it’d be the perfect time to pass along 10 Save-the-Date Tips and Tricks I learned along the way. Save-the-Date cards are a not so new trend that’s turning into a wedding tradition. What started as a way to get the word out about upcoming nuptials for out-of-town guests has turned into a way to introduce your “couple style” to your friends and family. So here are some things to think about when you’re crafting your own Save-the-Date:
- If you have no idea where to start, start on Pinterest! Pinterest is a great way to gather ideas on what type of look you’re going for. You’ll be able to narrow down what you like and what you don’t like for your Save-the-Date cards.
- If you want something truly unique, work with a designer. I may be a little bit biased here, but every couple is unique and to truly capture your “couple style” you’ll want something that’s reflects you and your relationship. A designer (such as myself) can take elements you like from that Pinterest board and make something that truly matches your relationship style.
- Use those engagement pictures – it’s what you took them for. Nowadays couples are really into the engagement shoot which is great (I had one myself), but what are you realistically using those pictures for? Your Save-the-Dates are a perfect way to get use out of those pictures that you love so much.
- Consider using bright, bold colors to really stand out and make your guests remember your date! The good thing about Save-the-Date cards is that they don’t have to match the theme of your wedding so it’s okay to be different. Bold colors will help your guests actually remember that this date is important.
- Go for the opposite look of your actual invitations. If your wedding invites are going to be super formal, consider a fun, laid back approach to your Save-the-Dates. So much about weddings is serious that we forget to have fun with it sometimes.
- Incorporate an element from your wedding theme. If you look at my actual Save-the-Date card, you’ll see that I’m wearing a burgundy dress, which is actually one of our wedding colors. I also incorporated a cork background since we’re going with a wine theme. You don’t have to be as overt as I did. Be subtle. Maybe a texture, a flower, or hint at the time of day your wedding will be taking place.
- Make it an actual calendar. A big trend is to literally circle the date for your guests. Send them a calendar with your date circled so they have no excuse to remember the date.
- Go with a magnet. Your guests can’t forget the date if it’s on their fridge! This is a popular trend that isn’t too expensive and we all know that one aunt we have that LOVES magnets!
- Make it social and include your wedding hashtag! Your guests will end up giving you one if you don’t supply one for them so come up with something fun and get folks ready to interact with everyone for your special day.
- Last but definitely not lease, DON’T FORGET THE IMPORTANT INFO! Your names, the date the guests should be saving, city and state where the nuptials will be taking place, and notice that the formal invitation is coming later. Here is where you can include your wedding website as well (not on the formal wedding invitation people!).
Hopefully with these 10 Save-the-Date Tips and Tricks you’re gotten inspired and are ready to get started on your own Save-the-Dates. Interested in working with me as your wedding stationary designer – that’s awesome! Start here and let’s make your wedding day fabulous.